These irresistible pizza snacks are fun and easy to make, with offerings to please vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. You may never order take-out again after tasting these hot and cheesy bite-sized delights!
The key to success when making these pizza snacks is rolling out the dough and measuring it properly to create snacks that are all the same size. The recipe calls for two cans of refrigerated pizza dough. One is rolled out, cut into 24 equal squares and used to make pepperoni pizza snacks. The process is repeated with the other can of dough to create a vegetarian version of the pizza snacks using peppers and mushrooms for the filling.
To prepare the filling for the vegetarian pizza snacks, start by cutting a green bell pepper into a small dice and roughly chopping sliced baby bella mushrooms. You will want the vegetables for the filling to be diced and chopped into small pieces so the filling can easily be used inside the small squares of pizza dough.
Now you can fill both versions of the pizza snacks. A slice of pepperoni and a sprinkle of cheese will go inside half the sliced dough squares. A scoop of vegetables and cheese will fill the other half of the dough squares. Make sure to completely wrap the dough around the filling and pinch the edges to seal. In one prepared pie pan place the pepperoni pizza snacks, seam side down. Fill the other prepared pie pan with the vegetarian pizza snacks.
Once both pie pans are filled with the stuffed dough, drizzle a mixture of olive oil and Italian seasoning and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. This will help the pizza snacks bake to a beautiful golden brown color in the oven with a crispy Parmesan crust on top.
Bake both pie pans in a 400 degree oven for 16-22 minutes. The sizzle when these pizza snacks come out of the oven is irresistible!
While the pizza snacks are baking, gently warm a jar of pizza sauce on the stove top or in the microwave. Serve the warm pizza snacks with the warm sauce for dipping. Your guests will love having both a meat and vegetarian option for dipping and snacking!
Dippin’ Pizza Snacks
2 cans (13.8 ounces each) Pillsbury refrigerated classic pizza crust
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded or cut into 48 cubes
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
4 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
28 slices pepperoni
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce, heated
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray two 9-inch pie pans with nonstick cooking spray. Remove dough from both cans. Unroll dough; starting at center, press out each dough rectangle with hands to form 12×8-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle into 24 squares.
2. In a medium sauce pan heat vegetable oil and saute diced green bell pepper and mushrooms until softened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Using the first 24 squares, top each square with cheese and 1 teaspoon of the pepper and mushroom mixture. Continue with the remaining 24 squares, and top each square with cheese and a pepperoni slice. Wrap dough around filling to completely cover; firmly press edges to seal. Place seam side down with sides touching in sprayed pie pans. Fill one pie pan with the pepperoni filled pizza snacks and fill the other pie pan with the pepper and mushroom filled pizza snacks.
4. In small bowl, combine oil and Italian seasoning; mix well. Drizzle over filled dough in pans. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F. 16-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm pizza bites with warm pizza sauce.